Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Battle of the Cameras

Well, it seems that choosing either the JVC or the Sony HDV camera to shoot the portrait of a place project with has proven to be much more difficult than I had imagined.

All of last semester and even a little of this semester already, the JVC camera has always been very good to me. I’m very comfortable with shooting with it. I know where all the settings are. I love the size, but most of all I really like how it shoots with SD cards. It makes editing so much quicker and easier.

But now a new camera has been introduced and it has definitely caught my attention. It’s pretty similar to the JVC in the normal setting options, but it also offers some new elements to that I haven’t been able to experiment with yet. The SONY has more tools to help achieve cool movements in focus and zoom. Another cool thing it offers is two ND filters verse the JCV's one. That is so helpful when filming outside in harsh lighting. The main and only problem I have with this camera uses miniDVs, and I have no previous experience with tape.

It would seem that my preference would lay with the Sony, but I’m starting to think otherwise. Because this is the first assignment for advanced videography, I really want to be able to fully concentrate on things such as framing, lighting, composition, ect., and not worrying about simple camera functions. Also, my workload for this week is insane with three full video projects all due Thursday. I want to use the camera I am most comfortable with to ensure the successful completion of my film on time.

So Ding Ding Ding, We have a winner.. JVC wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment