Saturday, February 19, 2011

And the Learning Continues...

It seems that with every film assignment, there is always a small mistake that is made. For instance, not turning off the ND filter, not setting the white balance, not checking the gain level, are just a mistakes rookies must make and embrace. And yes, I encountered them all at the beginning of TCF 201. Now in Advanced Videography, I thought the little mistakes were behind me, but yet again a tiny detail slipped through my grasp…. Make sure the lens is clean before shooting. As annoying as they are, little mistakes I make when filming really help me learn. I can tell you that all those things I've mentioned, I always remember to check now.

The portrait assignment was a great learning experience for me. I had an idea, planned it out, and everything went smoothly… well… sort of. My original idea for the action scenes of the cliff was to use a glide track so that all the moving shots would be very smooth. Unfortunately, the glide track was already checked out for the weekend. David had a cool idea to use his fly cam rig, and it seemed to work pretty well. Working with a DP was a lot of fun. It’s nice to be able to talk about my ideas and have someone give me their opinion about it, and also add ideas that they might have.

The big problem came when I got all of the footage back to editing. I noticed how the quality of the shots weren’t what I wanted and the lens flares were looking pretty rough. I’m not going to lie, it freaked me out a little , okay..a lot. I knew we couldn’t reshoot due to the talent’s schedule, so I did what all panicing students due and email the professor. Dr. Raimist said I should either work with what I have or reshoot. I am glad I decided to work with what I had. In this industry, we are all going to face problems like that and a lot of times you are going to have to work with what you have. I wanted to see how I would handle that situation, so I went straight to editing instead a planning another portrait.

It was cool seeing everyone else’s portraits, because we get to see their styles and strengths. In a way, it helps to get to know each other a little better. Also, I know I talked about making and learning from mistakes myself, but hearing from other students the problems they had also help me learn the do’s and don’ts of film.

When it comes to the feed back from my peers, it was way better than I expected. Even though I felt like my heart was going to fly out of my chest when I saw my film come up on the screen, it felt good to hear all the positive reactions to my work. All the worries, fears, and stress about the project didn’t matter anymore. They were all worth it to see people enjoy what my DP and I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment