Thursday, March 10, 2011

Cinematographer Style


I don’t know if this is the same with everyone else, but sometimes I find myself completely overwhelmed with the idea of film. I know as a rookie in this field, I tend to want to have a set list of do’s and don’ts. I want to know exactly what works and what doesn’t work, what looks good and what doesn’t look good. And I must say, not fully knowing all of those things tends to scare me at times. But hearing from the professionals changed all that.

After watching the Cinematographer Style, it all made sense. It was like my mind was suddenly at ease. Here are these professional Cinematographers, the best that the film biz has to offer, talking so openly about their experiences and their own personal views of visual style in a way that is so easy to follow and understand. They taught me that there is no “set rules” for film or visual style, only ideas. Also, sometimes I let the fear of making mistakes slow me down, but the cinematographers reassured me that it’s okay to make mistakes because a lot of times the best ideas comes from them. They call it “happy accidents.”

When it comes to personal style, I assumed so much went into developing it that my little mind would never be able to understand or apply it. However, the Cinematographers explained how personal style isn’t really that complex. Personal style is simply “You.” It’s how you approach certain situations. It’s how you view the narrative being told. It’s how you comprehend the director’s ideas. It’s how you imagine a scene. Personal style isn’t something you can learn or study, but is something you discover. You already have it inside of you. You just have to learn how to properly express it through film.

With the “Scene Assignment” lurking around the corner, I will definitely keep in mind all the Cinematographers said about lighting and try applying it to my film. One guy said lighting a set is like painting in the dark with light. The first light you strike is the first brush stroke. Another said it’s not about creating light, but creating shadows, depth and contrast. It’s about evoking emotion and telling a narrative all by how a person or scene is lit. I loved the advice one of the cinematographer gave about how to find the proper amount of light. He said when a boat is tipping to one side, you don’t add more to other side till it’s balanced because eventually you will sink. You simply take things out. It’s the same with lighting. Don’t keep adding light when something isn’t working, simply take it away and try something new. One of my favorite bits of advice was to never say or think that you can't do something. Nothing is impossible, it just might take a little bit more work to figure out."Can't" is never an option. I definitely want to keep that in mind when filming my next project.

The Cinematographers spoke about how they started from the bottom, learning all they could along their journey to the top. Right now, I’m definitely at the bottom, but I’m already learning so much and can’t wait to see what road ahead has in store. I think the greatest thing I am taking away from watching the Cinematographer’s Style film is that I am on the right track, because I have the one major detail it takes to be successful in film. I have passion, and that passion is what drives me everyday to keep soaking up every piece of information I can so that I can be the best that I can be. As long as I keep my passion, drive, and faith, there is nothing I can't accomplish.

So until next time,

God Bless and Roll Tide =)


No comments:

Post a Comment